Monday, September 1, 2014

52. Megh : Remains of mujjal of Kathiawar

यह पवरा गढ़ के ढेढ़ टेम्पल और अन्य खंडहरों पर बर्गीज की रिपोर्ट का अंश है जिसमें सात रिखियों (गुजराती में रूखियोंकी चमत्कारी कहानी के साथ दिया गया है.

"There is no communication between the upper and lower storeys, so that ladders must have been used, and the higher part was most probably intended for the seraglio. The stones do not, at this distant period, appear to have been cemented together; but this has, no doubt, originated from age. The smaller palace, known by the name of Adhotaro (अधोत्तरा), from its having (as it is said) been built in half a day, is a square building of 30 feet, and built of the same stone and supported by pillars like the one just described; but it is only of one storey and much inferior to the other palace. Its front is also carved, but the workmanship is far inferior to what may be seen in modern buildings in Cutch. The mint is not discernible further than being a heap of rubbish within a low stone wall enclosing a space of 120 by 80 feet; but there is a small building within the same space, which has more the appearance of a temple than of any other house. The gateway on the western side still stands and is very narrow; that on the south has, like the walls around it, perished. Near the western gate there is a ruined temple dedicated to Mahadev (महादेव) and of the ancient style of pagodas, and similar in appearance to the ruined one within the walls of Khaira (कैरा) fort in Cutch. The most wonderful thing to be remarked in all these buildings is, that no wood whatever has been employed in their construction; but this is, perhaps, from the dificulty of procuring it in the country. Whatever be the antiquity of this city the style of building of the temple at the western gate proves its being coeval with that at Khaira (कैरा), which is by all the natives of Cutch given to the time of Lakapoolanee. The circumstance of the space within the walls being merely intended for Poom’s family is too improbable, and it is more likely that the ruins on the north side of the town are those of the Megwars’ (मेघवार) or Ders’ (धेड) houses, which are generally outside the walls; and this is confirmed in a great degree by the temple near them being one for that caste. It may be as well to mention that the worshippers of Juck in (cutch) are at present called Sungar (संघार) and reside at Kuckerbit (कक्करभिट) and receive a fortieth part of the produce of all their sect. They are neither Hindus nor Mahomedans, and they do not circumcise, though they have brothers, in full, who do and are Mahomedans. They also intermarry with Mahomedans, although they do not smoke a same hookka or eat of the same dish."

Camp Mujjul, 25 December, 1826.



(Reference: Report on the Architectural and Archaeological Remains in the Province of Kachh By: Dalpatram Pranjivan Khakhar, Sir Alexander Burnes and James Burgess, Govt press, 1874, Appendix-4, page-7)


1 comment: